Legal and Ethical Issues in Quality and Safety in Nursing

I was surprised at several of the directions we were taken during assignments and discussions with this topic. I wasn’t sure exactly what we would focus on for legal and ethical issues because there are so many of those issues in healthcare. What surprised me the most is how quickly those issues arose with certain patients. One example is the 27 year old female patient suffering from chronic pain related to fibromyalgia. Seems like an issue of chronic pain and how to deal with it. The assignment went almost immediately to medical assisted suicide for this patient. I have experienced low back pain from falling down some stairs while fighting a house fire. That low back pain haunts me almost a dozen years later. I actually get angry when I begin to feel that pain. It frustrates me, it messes with my head, yet I have never thought of killing myself over that pain. While my pain isn’t as severe or as debilitating as others pain might be, I still don’t go down the road of suicide to escape that pain. It wasn’t something I had considered and therefore took me by surprise on this assignment.

I would say that this surprise is what I learned or re-learned during this unit. That just because I wouldn’t consider something in a specific situation doesn’t mean others aren’t considering it. This reinforces the idea that we really need to come to understand our patients and what they have on their mind. What might seem simple to us might be debilitating to them. Coming to a full understanding of their mindset, their coping mechanisms and the resources they are using to address their medical issues.

This assignment served as a reminder to me to step out of my own mind and try to understand what is going on in my patients. Their worries, fears and ability to identify and solve problems are so much different than mine. Rather than force my views on them, taking the time to understand their views will serve me well in the future and help me gain wisdom.

Image result for Nurse meme for legal and ethics